Operatives of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) yesterday returned former Kaduna State Governor Mallam Nasir El-Rufai to their custody after the resumed hearing of his bail application at the Federal High Court in Kaduna.
The court adjourned hearing of the bail application filed by former Kaduna State Governor till today. His counsel, Ubong Akpan (SAN), who declined detailed comments on the proceedings, confirmed the development shortly after yesterday’s court session.
“I’m sorry, I can’t talk now, we are in the middle of work. I have to go and file responses. The hearing of the bail application has been adjourned till tomorrow,” Ubong Akpan said. The former governor was subsequently taken away from the court premises by ICPC operatives in a white Hilux vehicle.
He had returned to the Federal High Court amid tight security for the hearing of his bail application in an ongoing corruption trial.
The heavy security presence mirrored the situation during his arraignment last week, when he was first brought before the court. El-Rufai had been arraigned before Justice Rilwan M. Aikawa on a 10-count charge bordering on alleged conversion and possession of public property, as well as money laundering.
The court had fixed March 31, 2026, for the hearing of pending applications, including his bail request. However, on March 27, 2026, the ICPC released him on compassionate grounds following the death of his mother, Hajiya Ummar El-Rufai, in Cairo, Egypt.
El-Rufai was earlier arraigned before a Kaduna State High Court sitting in Kawo on separate charges.
At the State High Court, he was docked alongside one Amadu Sule on allegations ranging from abuse of office and fraud with intent to commit fraud and conferring undue advantage. The charges, also instituted by the ICPC, are distinct from those before the Federal High Court.
After the State High Court proceedings, the commission moved El-Rufai to the Federal High Court, located within the same premises.
El-Rufai yesterday withdrew his fundamental rights enforcement suit against a chief magistrate at the FCT Magistrate’s Court, named as 2nd defendant, in the N1 billion case. His lawyer, Ugochukwu Nnakwu, informed Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court in Abuja, shortly after the case was called to hear his motion ex-parte.
The withdrawal followed Justice Abdulmalik’s observation yesterday, when the matter was heard.
The judge picked holes in the suit for failure to specify the magistrate who was sued as 2nd defendant. Nnakwu then sought an adjournment to properly identify the name of the magistrate being used.
Upon resumed hearing on Tuesday, Nnakwu informed the court that the matter was scheduled for the hearing of their motion ex-parte for substituted service of all court documents on the 2nd defendant (magistrate). He, however, said that a motion to withdraw the suit against the 2nd defendant had been filed.
The lawyer informed that the motion, dated March 30, was filed same date.
“We urge my lord to strike out the name of the 2nd defendant as a party in this suit,” Nnakwu prayed. He equally asked the court to strike out their earlier motion ex-parte before it. Ezekiel Rimamsomte, who appeared for the police; Maimuna Shiru, who represented the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF), and Abdul Mohammed, SAN, counsel for Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC), did not oppose the application.
Justice Abdulmalik, in a short ruling, struck out the magistrate’s name from the suit and also struck out the motion ex-parte. Nnakwu then sought an adjournment to enable him amend the suit. But Mohammed disagreed with the lawyer’s request to amend the suit.
Mohammed, who called the attention of the court to reliefs one, two and three in the former governor’s suit, said the prayers complained about the magistrate’s search warrant issued to the investigating agency. According to the senior lawyer, having struck out the name of the 2nd defendant, it means there is no case before this court.
Responding, the judge told Mohammed to be patient to allow the plaintiff to do his case the way he wants. “Counsel (addressing Mohammed), you are jumping the gun. You can respond to this by filing a counter affidavit,” she said.
Justice Abdulmalik consequently adjourned the matter until June 17 at the instance of Nnakwu to enable him file an amended process. El-Rufai is demanding a N1 billion in damages against ICPC, the Chief Magistrate at the Magistrate’s Court of the FCT, Abuja; IG and the AGF, named as 1st to 4th respondents respectively.
The former governor, in an originating motion on notice marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/345/2026, dated and filed February 20 by Oluwole Iyamu, SAN, sought seven reliefs.
He prayed the court to declare that the invasion and search of his residence at House 12, Mambilla Street, Aso Drive, Abuja, on February 19 at about 2pm by ICPC and IG, amounts to a gross violation of the applicant’s fundamental rights .
El-Rufai said that it was a violation to dignity of the human person, personal liberty, fair hearing, and privacy under Sections 34, 35, 36, and 37 of the Constitution.” He urged the court to declare that “any evidence obtained pursuant to the aforesaid invalid warrant and unlawful search is inadmissible in any proceedings against the applicant, as it was procured in breach of constitutional safeguards.”
About the author
Rwanda vs Nigeria: Chelle reignites the Super Eagles’ aspirations for the 2026 World Cup in Kigali.
On Friday, Eric Chelle became the inaugural non-Nigerian African coach to take the helm of the Super Eagles. The Malian coach directed his first match, resulting in a 2-0 win against Rwanda during a qualifying round for the 2026 World Cup. Chelle's appointment by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) took place on January 7, as he replaced Finidi George and succeeded interim coach Augustine Eguavoen. Since that time, he has dedicated three months to traveling across Nigeria, observing domestic league matches, and engaging with his players based in Europe. However, his initial team selection remained perplexing. Chelle opted for a highly offensive formation in Kigali, which appeared unbalanced on paper. Victor Osimhen, Samuel Chukwueze, Ademola Lookman, and Moses Simon were all included in the attacking lineup, while Alex Iwobi and Wilfred Ndidi occupied the midfield positions. "I had mixed feelings. […]
thequantumvalley@gmail.com March 21, 2025
Tragedy: Former deputy governor loses two children in accident
The immediate past Deputy Governor of Bauchi State, Senator Baba Tela, has lost two of his children, Mustapha and Ummi, in a fatal road accident. Our correspondent in Bauchi reported that the siblings reportedly died on Saturday after the vehicle conveying them was involved in a crash with a long vehicle (Trailer) on the Bauchi–Azare highway while they were returning to Bauchi from Azare, the headquarters of Katagum Local Government Area.They were said to have died on the spot of the accident due to the severity of the impact. Their bodies were later taken to a hospital in Bauchi, where medical personnel confirmed their deaths.Reacting to the tragedy, Bauchi State Governor, Bala Mohammed, described it as heartbreaking, and extended his condolences to Tela and his family. Mohammed, in a statement issued by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Mukhtar […]
Arthur Iyamore July 5, 2026
World Cup: Morocco defeats co-host Canada 3-0 to secure a spot in quarter-finals
The Atlas Lions of Morocco on Saturday defeated Canada 3-0 to secure a spot in the World Cup’s quarterfinals. The loss ends a historic run for World Cup co-host Canada, which won its first-ever knockout round with a 1-0 victory over South Africa to reach Saturday’s match. Morocco’s Azzedine Ounahi opened the scoring in the 50th minute of the game, giving the fans relief after a very confusing first half that left Moroccans almost depressed.Ounahi also scored a second goal for Morocco in the 82nd minute. Soufiane Rahimi ended the game with a third match in the added time. Exhaustion, as well as pressure from the Canadian team, which had been aggressively attempting to create shocks but not convert its chances.The Moroccan team, however, stood strong and balanced despite the showering of yellow cards by the British match official and […]
Arthur Iyamore July 5, 2026
Court remands Sowore in Kuje Prison, dismisses recusal request
A Federal High Court in Abuja on Monday remanded the Presidential Candidate of the African Action Congress (AAC), Omoyele Sowore, at the Kuje Correctional Centre pending the determination of an application seeking a stay of execution of an earlier court order revoking his bail. The trial judge, Justice Mohammed Umar, also dismissed an application by Sowore seeking his recusal from the case over allegations of bias.In a brief ruling, Justice Umar directed that the defendant remain in custody pending the hearing and determination of a motion for stay of execution filed by his new counsel, Adeyinka Olumide-Fusika SAN. The court subsequently adjourned the matter until June 24 for hearing of the application. trending_flat News & Politics Court remands Sowore in Kuje Prison, dismisses recusal request Arthur Iyamore June 22, 2026 trending_flat News Bandit Leader Claims Responsibility for Attacks, Expresses Interest […]
Arthur Iyamore June 22, 2026
Heavy military casualties in Niger Republic as attacks claim 265 security personnel
No fewer than 265 members of Niger’s Defence and Security Forces (FDS), including senior officers, have reportedly been killed in a series of coordinated attacks across different parts of the country between June 17 and June 19. Our correspondent in Niger Republic reported that according to security sources, one of the deadliest incidents occurred in Inates, where 101 soldiers were reported killed during an attack attributed to fighters of the Islamic State in the Sahel. The Zagazola Makama quoted sources as saying that 52 of the victims had been buried in the Tillabéri Region, while 49 other soldiers who were initially declared missing had subsequently been presumed dead. They added that 20 soldiers were reportedly taken captive during the attack. The security sources further disclosed that the attacks formed part of a broader wave of violence that targeted several military […]
Arthur Iyamore June 21, 2026
Dangote meets Aiyedatiwa, plans biggest free trade zone in Ondo
The President of Dangote Group, Alhaji Aliko Dangote, has reaffirmed plans to develop a large-scale industrial and free trade zone at Olokola in Ilaje Local Government Area of Ondo State. He described the development as a power-driven investment hub designed to attract manufacturers and reduce infrastructure constraints for investors.Dangote stated this on Monday during a visit to Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa at his office in Akure, the state capital. According to him, the renewed investment framework covers power generation, cement production, gas infrastructure and industrial manufacturing.He said the proposed Olokola project would go beyond a conventional free trade zone, explaining that it would be fully equipped with power, water and logistics infrastructure to enable investors to operate without delays associated with basic utilities.“We want to create the biggest free trade zone where investors can just come and plug in. We will […]
Arthur Iyamore June 16, 2026
Lagos Deputy Commissioner of Police is dead
The Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of Finance and Administration, Lagos State Police Command, DCP Khan Salihu is dead. The command’s spokesperson, SP Ambimbola Adebisi disclosed this in a statement.According to the statement, the DCP passed away on Monday, June 15, 2026. Ambimbola described the deceased as a “highly dedicated, disciplined, and committed senior police officer who served the Nigeria Police Force with exceptional professionalism, loyalty, and integrity”. “Throughout his distinguished career, DCP Khan Salihu exemplified diligence, exemplary leadership, and an unwavering commitment to duty. trending_flat News & Politics Lagos Deputy Commissioner of Police is dead Arthur Iyamore June 16, 2026 trending_flat Inside Ondo Teenager Arrested After Alleged Bottle Attack on Boyfriend in Ondo Tosin June 16, 2026 trending_flat Business Dangote Plans Nigeria’s Largest Industrial Zone in Ondo Tosin June 16, 2026 trending_flat Business Ondo Sets Up Committee to […]
Arthur Iyamore June 16, 2026
Related
Osun election: Police mop up 34 illegal weapons
Ahead of the Saturday’s governorship election in Osun State, the Nigeria Police Force says it has mopped up 34 illegal firearms. CSP Aniete Iniedu, the Force Public Relations Officer, made the disclosure during a town hall meeting held at the Osun State police command headquarters in Osogbo on Thursday. Our correspondent reported that CSP Aniete Iniedu said that investigation is ongoing into the sources of the weapons, while the illegal owners will be prosecuted in line with the directives of the Inspector-General of Police. “With regards to illicit weapons, about 34 recovered arms in Osun State ahead of the election. “Investigation is ongoing about it, after which there will be prosecution,” he said. The Force spokesperson disclosed that illicit weapons were not allowed at the polling units. “Even the four policemen that were deployed to each unit will not carry […]
Tosin August 14, 2026
Osun: Navy arrests APC Assembly candidate, others over alleged possession of gun
Babatunde Komolafe Festus, an All Progressives Congress (APC) House of Assembly candidate in Osun State, has reportedly been arrested by the Nigerian Navy personnel in his hometown, Ifewara, over alleged possession of a gun. Sources disclosed that Komolafe was arrested on Thursday, while travelling in a campaign vehicle belonging to the APC, alongside other supporters. The arrest comes barely 48 hours before the Osun State governorship election scheduled for Saturday, August 15. Sources said the arrest followed a routine search conducted by Navy personnel, during which a gun was allegedly discovered in the vehicle. “He was arrested today after a routine search by Navy officials exposed him and other supporters with a gun, they were in the campaign vehicle of APC candidate Bola Oyebamiji when they were caught,” the source said. There are also allegations that the suspects were linked […]
Tosin August 14, 2026
SOKOTO-BADAGRY SUPER HIGHWAY WILL BOOST AGRICULTURE, OPEN ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITIES – INFORMATION MINISTER
The Honourable Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, has said the Sokoto-Badagry Super Highway will boost agriculture and open new economic opportunities for communities and states along the 1,000-kilometre corridor, including Kebbi State. The Minister stated this when he received the Kebbi State Commissioner for Information, Hon. Yakubu Ahmed Birnin-Kebbi, and members of the state Governor’s media team on a courtesy visit on Wednesday in Abuja. Idris said about 250 kilometres of the highway would pass through Kebbi State, making the project an important opportunity for the state to expand agriculture, improve trade and strengthen economic activities. “The Sokoto-Badagry Super Highway is not just designed to link communities, states and cities together. It is also designed to provide an avenue for the advancement of economic activities in the corridor. About 250 kilometres of that super highway will pass […]
Tosin August 14, 2026
Kill Accord members remarks: We’d ‘name and shame’ Fadahunsi in 150 countries – Amnesty International
The country director of Amnesty International Nigeria, Isa Sanusi, says the organisation will name and shame Francis Fadahunsi, senator representing Osun East, across the 150 countries where it operates over his alleged inciting comments. Sanusi made this on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on Thursday while reacting to Fadahunsi’s controversial remarks ahead of the August 15 Osun governorship election. Fadahunsi, an All Progressives Congress (APC) Senator, has come under intense criticism after a video circulated online showing him seemingly directing supporters to kill members of the Accord party. The Osun police command summoned the senator on Tuesday and grilled him for about two hours on Wednesday. Sanusi said Amnesty would make an example of Fadahunsi to serve as a deterrent to other members of the political class. “We are going to use him as an example. We have had so many […]
Tosin August 14, 2026
WE WANT PEACEFUL ELECTION IN OSUN – CAIDOV
The Centre Against Injustice and Domestic Violence - CAIDOV has called on all stakeholders in Osun State to prioritize peace, fairness, and the rule of law as the state approaches its election. As a human rights and justice organization, CAIDOV urged political parties, candidates, security agencies, INEC, traditional rulers, and voters to shun violence, intimidation, vote-buying, and all forms of electoral malpractice The statement by CAIDOV signed by Its Executive Director Gbenga Soloki stated that: "Osun people deserve an election that reflects their true will. We want a peaceful election in Osun — free, fair, credible, and devoid of bloodshed. A peaceful Osun will guarantee prosperity for all.The ballot should be the only weapon. Any act of violence or injustice undermines democracy and hurts the very citizens we seek to serve "We specifically urge Security Agencies to remain neutral, professional, […]
Tosin August 13, 2026
Two APC members killed, woman leader hospitalised in Ilesa attack
Tension gripped Ilesa, Osun State, yesterday morning after suspected political thugs attacked a community and shot members of the All Progressives Congress (APC). The incident reportedly occurred around 7:30 a.m. as party members gathered at the Igbogi area of Ilesa for their final rally. Witnesses said the assailants, armed with pump-action rifles, stormed the venue and opened fire indiscriminately. A resident, identified as Sola told Ayemafuge: “We were preparing for our final rally today. Our leaders asked us to converge at Igbogi by 8 a.m. But at about 7:30 a.m., the thugs invaded and started shooting sporadically. Four people were hit. It is so unfortunate. This attack comes barely three days after Amotekun clashed with our members.” Confirming the incident, Oluremi Omowaiye, Media Head of the APC Campaign Council, said: “Four of our supporters were shot. Two have died, while […]
Tosin August 12, 2026
Be the first to leave a comment