Nigeria got a pat on the back yesterday from the United States for accelerating the prosecution of terrorism-related cases. The commendation followed the conviction of 386 suspects in recent mass trials.
In a statement published via X on Sunday, Massad Boulos, the US senior advisor for Arab and African Affairs, said Washington welcomed the development, describing it as a significant step towards strengthening accountability and justice. The post reads: “The United States commends the Nigerian government for its strong commitment to expediting trials addressing terrorism and related crimes. We welcome the convictions of 386 Islamist militants in cases that had previously faced significant delays in the courts,” the statement reads.
“We believe that timely and transparent legal processes are critical in confronting extremism and reinforcing public trust in judicial institutions. Upholding the rule of law remains essential to ensuring the safety, stability, and long-term security of all Nigerians.” It should be recalled that on Friday last week, Attorney-General and Minister of Justice Lateef Fagbemi, said that the Federal Government secured 386 convictions out of 508 terrorism-related cases brought before the courts.
The mass trials mark one of the largest coordinated efforts by Nigerian authorities to address a backlog of terrorism cases, many of which had lingered in the judicial system for years.
The development comes amid renewed efforts by the federal government to tighten enforcement against terrorism financing and extremist networks.
On Saturday, the Nigeria Sanctions Committee released a list of 48 individuals and entities allegedly linked to terrorism financing. The list includes Simon Ekpa – a separatist leader; Tukur Mamu – a Kaduna-based publisher; and proscribed groups such as Indigenous People of Biafra, Ansarul Sudan, and Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP).
About the author
Rwanda vs Nigeria: Chelle reignites the Super Eagles’ aspirations for the 2026 World Cup in Kigali.
On Friday, Eric Chelle became the inaugural non-Nigerian African coach to take the helm of the Super Eagles. The Malian coach directed his first match, resulting in a 2-0 win against Rwanda during a qualifying round for the 2026 World Cup. Chelle's appointment by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) took place on January 7, as he replaced Finidi George and succeeded interim coach Augustine Eguavoen. Since that time, he has dedicated three months to traveling across Nigeria, observing domestic league matches, and engaging with his players based in Europe. However, his initial team selection remained perplexing. Chelle opted for a highly offensive formation in Kigali, which appeared unbalanced on paper. Victor Osimhen, Samuel Chukwueze, Ademola Lookman, and Moses Simon were all included in the attacking lineup, while Alex Iwobi and Wilfred Ndidi occupied the midfield positions. "I had mixed feelings. […]
thequantumvalley@gmail.com March 21, 2025
Tragedy: Former deputy governor loses two children in accident
The immediate past Deputy Governor of Bauchi State, Senator Baba Tela, has lost two of his children, Mustapha and Ummi, in a fatal road accident. Our correspondent in Bauchi reported that the siblings reportedly died on Saturday after the vehicle conveying them was involved in a crash with a long vehicle (Trailer) on the Bauchi–Azare highway while they were returning to Bauchi from Azare, the headquarters of Katagum Local Government Area.They were said to have died on the spot of the accident due to the severity of the impact. Their bodies were later taken to a hospital in Bauchi, where medical personnel confirmed their deaths.Reacting to the tragedy, Bauchi State Governor, Bala Mohammed, described it as heartbreaking, and extended his condolences to Tela and his family. Mohammed, in a statement issued by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Mukhtar […]
Arthur Iyamore July 5, 2026
World Cup: Morocco defeats co-host Canada 3-0 to secure a spot in quarter-finals
The Atlas Lions of Morocco on Saturday defeated Canada 3-0 to secure a spot in the World Cup’s quarterfinals. The loss ends a historic run for World Cup co-host Canada, which won its first-ever knockout round with a 1-0 victory over South Africa to reach Saturday’s match. Morocco’s Azzedine Ounahi opened the scoring in the 50th minute of the game, giving the fans relief after a very confusing first half that left Moroccans almost depressed.Ounahi also scored a second goal for Morocco in the 82nd minute. Soufiane Rahimi ended the game with a third match in the added time. Exhaustion, as well as pressure from the Canadian team, which had been aggressively attempting to create shocks but not convert its chances.The Moroccan team, however, stood strong and balanced despite the showering of yellow cards by the British match official and […]
Arthur Iyamore July 5, 2026
Court remands Sowore in Kuje Prison, dismisses recusal request
A Federal High Court in Abuja on Monday remanded the Presidential Candidate of the African Action Congress (AAC), Omoyele Sowore, at the Kuje Correctional Centre pending the determination of an application seeking a stay of execution of an earlier court order revoking his bail. The trial judge, Justice Mohammed Umar, also dismissed an application by Sowore seeking his recusal from the case over allegations of bias.In a brief ruling, Justice Umar directed that the defendant remain in custody pending the hearing and determination of a motion for stay of execution filed by his new counsel, Adeyinka Olumide-Fusika SAN. The court subsequently adjourned the matter until June 24 for hearing of the application. trending_flat News & Politics Court remands Sowore in Kuje Prison, dismisses recusal request Arthur Iyamore June 22, 2026 trending_flat News Bandit Leader Claims Responsibility for Attacks, Expresses Interest […]
Arthur Iyamore June 22, 2026
Heavy military casualties in Niger Republic as attacks claim 265 security personnel
No fewer than 265 members of Niger’s Defence and Security Forces (FDS), including senior officers, have reportedly been killed in a series of coordinated attacks across different parts of the country between June 17 and June 19. Our correspondent in Niger Republic reported that according to security sources, one of the deadliest incidents occurred in Inates, where 101 soldiers were reported killed during an attack attributed to fighters of the Islamic State in the Sahel. The Zagazola Makama quoted sources as saying that 52 of the victims had been buried in the Tillabéri Region, while 49 other soldiers who were initially declared missing had subsequently been presumed dead. They added that 20 soldiers were reportedly taken captive during the attack. The security sources further disclosed that the attacks formed part of a broader wave of violence that targeted several military […]
Arthur Iyamore June 21, 2026
Dangote meets Aiyedatiwa, plans biggest free trade zone in Ondo
The President of Dangote Group, Alhaji Aliko Dangote, has reaffirmed plans to develop a large-scale industrial and free trade zone at Olokola in Ilaje Local Government Area of Ondo State. He described the development as a power-driven investment hub designed to attract manufacturers and reduce infrastructure constraints for investors.Dangote stated this on Monday during a visit to Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa at his office in Akure, the state capital. According to him, the renewed investment framework covers power generation, cement production, gas infrastructure and industrial manufacturing.He said the proposed Olokola project would go beyond a conventional free trade zone, explaining that it would be fully equipped with power, water and logistics infrastructure to enable investors to operate without delays associated with basic utilities.“We want to create the biggest free trade zone where investors can just come and plug in. We will […]
Arthur Iyamore June 16, 2026
Lagos Deputy Commissioner of Police is dead
The Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of Finance and Administration, Lagos State Police Command, DCP Khan Salihu is dead. The command’s spokesperson, SP Ambimbola Adebisi disclosed this in a statement.According to the statement, the DCP passed away on Monday, June 15, 2026. Ambimbola described the deceased as a “highly dedicated, disciplined, and committed senior police officer who served the Nigeria Police Force with exceptional professionalism, loyalty, and integrity”. “Throughout his distinguished career, DCP Khan Salihu exemplified diligence, exemplary leadership, and an unwavering commitment to duty. trending_flat News & Politics Lagos Deputy Commissioner of Police is dead Arthur Iyamore June 16, 2026 trending_flat Inside Ondo Teenager Arrested After Alleged Bottle Attack on Boyfriend in Ondo Tosin June 16, 2026 trending_flat Business Dangote Plans Nigeria’s Largest Industrial Zone in Ondo Tosin June 16, 2026 trending_flat Business Ondo Sets Up Committee to […]
Arthur Iyamore June 16, 2026
Related
Osun Election: Police arrest Osun Commissioner over gunshots at APC rally in Ilesa
The Police Command in Osun State has arrested the state Commissioner for Environment, Mr Mayowa Asejoorin, over alleged gunshots at the All Progressives Congress(APC) campaign rally in Ilesa on Saturday. Four persons were reportedly injured in the incident. Ayemafuge gathered that the APC supporters, during the rally in Ilesa metropolis, were allegedly attacked leading to injuring a 14-year-old Ilesanmi while some people sustained different degrees of injury. The injured victims have been taken to the hospital for treatment. Confirming the arrest, the Osun State Police Command spokesperson, DSP Abiodun Ojelabi, said the Commissioner was arrested in connection with the incident. “Immediately the incident was reported, our personnel moved to the scene, cordoned off the area before some exhibit were recovered, which included expanded cartridges, Amotekun personnel caps. “Also, Mr Adejoorin was arrested at the scene and has been taken to […]
Tosin August 9, 2026
2027 Presidential Election: Candidate Withdraws From Race
The factional presidential candidate and National Chairman of the Accord Party, Christopher Imumolen, has withdrawn from the 2027 presidential race and endorsed President Bola Tinubu for a second term. Imumolen said Tinubu was well positioned to win the 2027 presidential election, citing the President’s reforms, leadership style and growing support across the country. Imumolen made this known at a news conference in Lagos on Friday, where he formally announced his decision to step down from the presidential race. Our correspondent in Lagos reported that the Accord leader said the decision followed extensive consultations with the leadership and members of the party. He stressed that national interest must always take precedence over personal ambition and partisan considerations. Imumolen said Tinubu’s re-election was becoming inevitable because Nigerians were gradually beginning to appreciate the long-term benefits of the administration’s reform agenda, despite the […]
Tosin August 9, 2026
Fear grips Ondo residents as gunmen abduct two farmers
Gunmen have abducted two farmers in Parubber Community, Ile-Oluji/Okeigbo Local Government Area of Ondo State. Sources said the victims were ambushed on their farms on Monday and taken into the bush by the assailants. Pastor Yemi Omowale, one of the farmers who escaped the attack, said the incident had been reported to the police and Amotekun Corps. Narrating the incident, Omowale, who operates a piggery farm in Parubber Community on the Ondo-Ife Road, said: “I run a piggery farm in Parubber Community along Ondo-Ife Road in Ile-Oluji/Okeigbo Local Government Area. “We went there in the morning to feed the animals. Between 12 noon and 1.oo p.m on Monday, we were working outside when I saw a masked man carrying an AK-47 moving towards one of the victims, Adetan Adebanjo Gbemi, because we were not standing together,” he said. He said […]
Tosin August 8, 2026
Court remands woman for allegedly severing boyfriend’s manhood in Kano
Court ordered the remand of a 25-year-old woman, Maimuna Idris, in a correctional centre for allegedly cutting off her boyfriend’s manhood. According to a report by the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), the victim was identified as Ashiru Sani. Idris, who resides in Maigatari Local Government Area of Jigawa, is facing a two-count charge of attempted culpable homicide and causing grievous hurt. The Prosecution Counsel, H.A. Sani-Buhari, told the court that the defendant committed the offence on July 27 at Badawa Quarters, Kano. Sani-Buhari said that on the same date at about 12:50 p.m., the Badawa Police Division received a report from the management of Durbar Hotel, Badawa, Kano, that the defendant allegedly attacked her boyfriend with a sharp knife. She said earlier, at about 11:00 a.m., the defendant allegedly severed her boyfriend’s manhood after discovering his intention to marry […]
Tosin August 8, 2026
COALITION COMMENDS PRESIDENT TINUBU DIRECTIVE ON EFCC’S FREEZING OF OSUN GOVERNMENT ACCOUNT
The Democracy and Good Governance Watch Initiative (DGGWI) commends the President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR, for his principled, courageous and statesmanlike intervention directing the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to immediately take the necessary legal steps to vacate the court order freezing the bank accounts of the Osun State Government. The President's directive is a clear demonstration of his unwavering commitment to democratic governance, the rule of law, institutional independence and the protection of the integrity of Nigeria's electoral process. By openly expressing concern over the timing of the EFCC's action, particularly as Osun State prepares for its governorship election, President Tinubu has once again shown that he places national interest above partisan considerations. His intervention reflects the qualities of a true democrat who appreciates that […]
Tosin August 8, 2026
Abducted Five Ogun Polytechnic Students, Two Others Regain Freedom
Five students of Gateway ICT Polytechnic, Saapade, abducted by gunmen last week, have regained their freedom alongside two other residents of the host community following a coordinated rescue operation by security agencies in Ogun State. Governor Dapo Abiodun, who announced the successful rescue while addressing journalists at the Governor’s Office, Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta, on Thursday, said all seven victims were rescued alive through separate operations carried out by a joint security team. Our correspondent understands that the operation involved personnel of the Nigeria Police Force, the Nigerian Armed Forces, the Department of State Services (DSS), the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), the Ogun State Security Network Agency, codenamed Amotekun, as well as local vigilantes and hunters. Abiodun disclosed that one of the rescued students sustained a gunshot injury during the abduction but had been evacuated for medical treatment and […]
Tosin August 7, 2026
Be the first to leave a comment